Houston was founded in 1836 when the Allen Brothers landed on the banks
of the Buffalo Bayou about a mile northwest of where Our Lady of
Guadalupe parish is now. It was not until 1911 that a great influx of
Mexicans began coming to Houston because of the unrest in Mexico. At
that time it became apparent that the Sacraments needed to be
administered in Spanish. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate were sent to
begin Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in 1912. School opened for class on
September 8, 1912. It is the oldest Catholic grade school in Houston.
The property on which Our Lady of Guadalupe stands has been owned by the
Diocese since about 1856. St. Vincent's Cemetery, the oldest Catholic
cemetery in Houston, was and still is, located on our property. In 1991
a State Historical Marker was dedicated outside the church, attesting to
the role Our Lady of Guadalupe has played in the development of the
Mexican American community in Houston. It notes that the spirit of this
community has always been one of welcoming. Our motto is: "Nuestra Casa
es Su Casa".