Houston was founded in 1836 when the Allen Brothers landed on the banks of the Buffalo Bayou about a mile northwest of where Our Lady of Guadalupe parish is now. It was not until 1911 that a great influx of Mexicans began coming to Houston because of the unrest in Mexico.
At that time it became apparent that the Sacraments needed to be administered in Spanish. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate were sent to begin Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in 1912. School opened for class on September 8, 1912. It is the oldest Catholic grade school in Houston.
The property on which Our Lady of Guadalupe stands has been owned by the Diocese since about 1856. St. Vincent's Cemetery, the oldest Catholic cemetery in Houston, was and still is, located on our property.
In 1991 a State Historical Marker was dedicated outside the church, attesting to the role Our Lady of Guadalupe has played in the development of the Mexican American community in Houston. It notes that the spirit of this community has always been one of welcoming.
Our motto is: "Nuestra Casa es Su Casa".